Empowability understands the induction process
We know the benefits of a good induction program far outweigh those of a poorly designed or poorly delivered one. We understand the efficiencies that will have new support workers happy to do our induction on their own time. With most inductions, they either sit in the classroom wishing the time away or spending hours trawling through long boring policies and procedures that they won’t retain.
Our expertly designed, cost-effective inductions written especially for disability support workers, will save businesses money and set staff up for long-term productive employment.
Failure is costly
Most disability organisations spend a lot of time and money recruiting new support workers, finding the right fit for the team and the client group can be difficult. Finding that perfect person with the right personality and the right skill set, can be very time-consuming, but it’s important to get it right.
However, some disability organisations waste this time and effort by thinking the recruitment process ends here. They find the right candidate, then onboard them with a poorly designed induction program; often the sleepy face-to-face classroom delivery or an ‘employee handbook’ to read and sign off.
A sub-standard induction can lead to new support workers “going rogue”. They assume things based on previous experience or making things up that seem logical because it is easier and faster than having to engage with someone to find out the right way of doing things. This can lead to costly mistakes and injuries or the new support worker feeling unsupported and ready to move on. This results in the recruitment process needing to start all over again.
Six reasons effective induction programs are essential for disability support workers
- Culture: Most disability organisations have a values-based approach to doing business, meaning these values drive everything the organisation does including the workplace culture. New disability support workers need to align with and assimilate into this workplace culture. They need to understand the organisational values and the mission and vision that drive those values.
- Compliance: Ensuring that new support workers are up to date with the latest company policies including OHS, bullying, and sexual harassment is crucial.
- Retention: An effective, engaging induction program helps disability support workers adjust to their new role and transition smoothly into the organisation. This ultimately improves the retention of new employees and saves costs on on-going recruitment programs. It is also the best and easiest way to make staff feel valued and supported.
- Productivity: Support workers learn the right way of doing things from the beginning, rather than picking up shortcuts and bad habits from other employees
- Reduce costs: Developing an induction program once and using it for all employees, even those that are in far-flung places is efficient and cost-effective.
- Reputation: Good quality, engaging inductions help to establish a professional impression of your business to both new employees and clients.
How can Empowability help?
We can take all of the hard work out of the Disability Support Worker Induction process. We turn the usual time consuming ‘hit and miss’ process into one that hits the target each and every time; before your new recruit is on company time. Yep! New support workers will complete their induction BEFORE they start on the job. Their course completion will be tracked on the LMS, confirming that they have engaged in each component.
Our induction courses are written specifically for the disability sector; we understand what you need and how to provide it in an engaging way. Our courses are fully customisable. We guarantee a quick and easy turnaround. They can be hosted on our LMS which is an easy, trackable option. However, if you would like to host them on your own LMS, you can do so.